People are often shocked to see how much dirt has accumulated in their carpet and the difference in appearance after a professional carpet cleaning. It can be difficult to know when your carpet needs to be cleaned again: “How often should I call a professional carpet cleaning service?” we ask ourselves. The answer to this question varies depending on your living situation – lifestyle, house rules, number of occupants, etc. As the premier professional carpet cleaning service in Colorado Springs, we at Carpet Care Craftsman are here to answer questions like this one.
Before calling to get your carpet professionally cleaned, you’ll want to answer some of these questions:
- Do you have pets or young children? Your pets will track in all sorts of dirt and grime from their outdoor adventures, and young children are notorious for making a mess out of just about anything. Living with one or both will mean you’ll want to get your carpet professionally cleaned more frequently.
- Are you a shoes-off household? Like pets, your shoes will track in all sorts of germs and dirt that can contaminate your carpet and make fibers wear prematurely. The more people in your household with shoes on, the more grime your carpet will endure.
- How often do you vacuum? Vacuuming rids your carpet of loose particles before they can attach themselves to fibers. Vacuuming on a weekly basis can prolong the need for a professional carpet cleaning.
- What allergies do you have? If you have severe or significant allergies, vacuuming often won’t be enough to rid your carpet of the pollutants and debris that may trigger an allergic reaction.
- Does the warranty require regularly scheduled cleanings? Some carpet manufacturers will want you to follow a strict cleaning regimen that includes professional carpet cleaning to keep your warranty in full effect.
Your answers to these questions will determine how often you should get your carpets professionally cleaned. For warranty purposes, you will want to clean once every 12-18 months and keep a record of any cleanings until the end of the warranty period. When no warranty applies, make sure to clean before your carpet gets to the point where the appearance level cannot be recovered. That could be 2-4 times a year, or once every 2-4 years depending on your usage and personal preference.
Here’s how to distinguish your carpet’s appearance:
New – It’s a brand-new carpet.
Good – There is a slight textural change and very light soiling in areas of high usage.
Fair – There are more pronounced textural changes, moderate soiling, and spots in areas of high usage..
Poor – There is matting, crushing, pile distortion in traffic lanes, numerous spots, and heavy soiling in high and low use areas.
You should not wait until your carpet is at the poor level to get it cleaned. It will become a big challenge or almost impossible to recover the carpet back to a like-new appearance once it has reached that point.
Make sure to clean when your carpet appearance gets to a good level – you will find that it is much easier to maintain a like-new appearance for the life of the carpet.
Note: It’s important to understand that not all carpets perform the same. For more details about your carpet, contact Carpet Care Craftsman for a Free Onsite Evaluation.